Wednesday, January 24, 2007

I forgot to take any pictures as I was putting this together. These were done with 56% silver. I drilled two 1/8" feeder holes in the top and bottom of the chainstay so I could get silver into the joint. I only fed from one hole. The second hole is just so I could see that my silver went all the way around. These will be filed flush and never seen. It was a little tough getting the dropout hot enough without cooking the flux on the bullet clevis. Next time I will use black flux.


The fixture is symetrical with the slot in the dropout being on centerline. Reversing the v-block that holds the cs makes the fixture work for the opposite side. Measuring from the edge to the block gets the angle close to the same. By moving the block to a different slot, I could build a bike with a different cs angle.


I realized that I needed a way to fixture the stays to the bullets to the dropouts all at the same time as they would all be brazed at once. It didn't have to be super accurate, just repeatable so the left side would be the mirror of the right. If I was going to take any time making a fixture, I might as well make something modular that I could use in the future.


Like so.


I filed a radius on the tab of the dropout to fit snug in the slot of the bullet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi there,
I just found your blog from a link on Frame Forum- cool stuff you're doing! I especially like the job you did on those drops. You're fixturing is nice too. What do you have for the rear triangle?
Cheers,
Chauncey