Tuesday, January 23, 2007






Cutting the slot for the dropout in the bullet.


Attaching the dropouts to the stays presented an issue. I didn't want to use an off the shelf stay for several reasons. One is the chainstay yoke. I wanted to make the yoke from 3/4" plate for cost reasons but I couldn't find a stay that was the right size that would fit cleanly on the dropouts. I decided to make the chainstays from 3/4" x .035 tube and join them to the dropouts with "bullets". Paragon makes these in Ti, but not steel. I made my own from 17-4. I lack a CNC lathe so mine had to be tapered vs bullet shaped.


These are the Paragon Machine Works dropouts I'm using. These are becoming the dropout of choice for builders and riders when it comes to singlespeeds. They appealed to me because it allows me to run SS or geared without running tugs. They are also much easier to build around than an eccentric. I could have made my own, but at $90, they are a bargain.



My breakfast looked so good I had to take a picture. How much better is this than work?


Yeah! Snowday. This much snow is a big deal in Seattle. It's not that we're soft, it's that MOST of us don't know how to drive. Hey, any accuse to stay home from work.

No comments: